PVAC - Who We Are
The Perkiomen Valley Art Center was conceived when renowned local artist Charles R. Gardner began giving art classes in his studio. The Art Center formally began at a meeting in the Schwenksville Community Library (now Perkiomen Valley Library) on March 5,1957. There were forty members at the first meeting. Charles R. Gardner was, appropriately, the first president, with Mary Gebler acting as first secretary. It was with their vision and guidance that the Art Center was formed. Our founding members recognized the need for an outlet that would allow many talented community artists to exhibit and share art information. This philosophy has continued to guide us to the present day.
The first annual art exhibit by the group was held in 1957 in the Schwenksville Library. One of the judges selected for this show was the late Sidney Quinn, who was an active member in the Art Center. Later, Wismer Hall, Ursinus College, was host to our open shows until 1991, when we moved our show site to The Hill School Center For The Arts in Pottstown.
Our organization is comprised of professional and non-professional artists and friends of the arts. We provide monthly programs that are free and open to the public at Encore Experiences at the Harleysville, formerly known as the Harleysville Senior Center.
Annual events include a members' show and an open exhibit. In addition, PVAC sponsors a yearly cash award to a promising art student from each graduating class of Perkiomen Valley High School and of Souderton Area High School, and has donated many art books to the Perkiomen Valley Library in honor of past members. Since its inception, PVAC has been an active participant in the development of cultural appreciation in the community.
Program presentations are free and open to the public.
Last rev. 11 December 2009